Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Food, Research Papers, Hospitals


Yesterday after breakfast I proceeded to work on my research paper. I got A LOT of notes and research done, as well as the first two pages written. It felt so good to actually get something done so I can at least say that I've started it. Doesn't it feel better when you don't fully procrastinate? =)
While I was working on my paper I was getting a hankering for a treat I made. It you remember back to Christmas time I made a Black Forest Trifle (brownie pieces, lite cherry pie topping, cool whip). Well everyone fell in love with it at Christmas including me. The leftovers lasted FOREVER and I snacked on them for a good two weeks. Well the other day I decided I wanted to recreate a smaller version of this fab dessert. I halved the recipe and made a mini version for me to have as a dessert for the week. Now where I am going with this is- I had a few bites mid morning. I know, SO BAD! But it was delish and totally worth it.
For lunch I had just heated up some leftover Amy's Chunky Vegetable soup and made a seafood salad wrap when my mom's friend called and asked us to meet her at Cosi for lunch. I packed up my meal and put it in the refrigerator and we headed out. At Cosi I had my favorite sandwich, a Fire-Roasted Veggie warmed on Whole Grain with baby carrots. I was a little chilly so I had green tea to drink. It was a good lunch and we were surrounded by two good friends!
After lunch my mom decided a Dunkin Donuts stop was completely necessary. At DD I treated myself to a small coffee with skim milk and Splenda. I think this is my new favorite way to drink coffee!
For the rest of the afternoon I did some homework and relaxed until about 5PM when we got a call from my aunt who works at the nursing home where my grandmother is. My grandmother has water on the brain and severe dementia, and she was doing really scarily bad all of a sudden. My aunt called her PCP who got her directly admitted to Hartford Hospital. My family quickly rummaged through the fridge to grab dinner. I had my meal from lunch that I didn't get to eat. 
Amy's Chunky Vegetable soup and a seafood salad wrap.
Contents of the wrap:
-1 Joseph's Flax Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap
-A large scoop of premade seafood salad from Shaw's
-baby spinach
-sliced onion
This was delicious and filled me right up. After dinner I took a few more yummy bites of trifle for dessert. Shhh!

I had a snack when I got back from the hospital, but I was tired and forgot to photograph it- sorry! I had a Yoplait Light Thick & Creamy (my fav yogurt) with a (new for me) bar. I tried the Kashi Crunchy! Chocolate Caramel bar.
Serving Size: 1 bar (45g)
Calories: 150
Calories from fat: 25
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 220mg
Total Carbohydrate: 28g
Dietary Fiber: 6g
Soluble Fiber: 1g
Insoluble Fiber: 5g
Sugars: 14g
Protein: 8g

At the first bite I didn't really like the bar much. But as I kept eating it I grew to appreciate it. I didn't love it by any means, but I'd eat it again.
After I had my snack I felt much better, and hit the hay for some much needed rest! This morning I was running a little late so I didn't get a picture of breakfast. But I had a bowl of Quaker Oats with some DaVinci Sugar Free Vanilla syrup mixed in, along with a mini box of raisins and a scoop of pb. Yum!

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Hey, I saw that you posted your blog link on LiveStrong. I like it, very organized. I'm a high school senior (well, i graduted in december). But yeah, hope you don't mind if I "follow" your blog! :]